Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Using Up Crudites

We hosted a graduation party over the weekend, and I ended up with a gallon bag full of cut up broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and celery. I'm not a real big raw veggie eater, but I also didn't want them to go to waste.

What I've done in the past, is cook them up in a big pot of broth, then mash the veggies real good. I'd portion that in maybe 6 cup sizes and freeze it. That would be a base for future cream soups. To serve, heat it on the stove, then add cream and cheese at the very end. You can also add a little cornstarch mixed with water (before adding the cream). Heat until thickened, then add the cream and cheese.

Anyway, this time I didn't feel like doing the big soup thing. For supper last night, I cut up a bunch of the carrots and celery (I shouldn have added an onion, but didn't feel like it) and cooked them in coconut oil. Then, I added not quite a cup of chicken broth, about a teaspoon of cajun seasoning and a teaspoon of oregano. I let that cook covered until the veggies were soft, then I added some cut up turkey and ham, also leftover from the weekend. I served it in bowls over rice. It was pretty good, but maybe a little too salty from the ham. I think that overpowered the other spices. Next time I wouldn't add as much ham.

I cut up the broccoli, cauliflower and carrots into smaller pieces and put them in a quart jar. I added a little brine from a jar of cortido. I made some more brine using about 2 cups of water and enough salt so that it's too salty to be pleasant, but not so salty that it's disgusting. I'm going to let that sit on the counter for a few days to and see how it ferments.

I still have some carrots and celery left in the refrigerator. I plan on cutting them up, along with an onion, and cooking them in coconut oil. I'll freeze them in a couple portions (or possibly in ice cube trays) to add to future soups.

No comments:

Post a Comment