Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A Mean Green Bean Making Machine

Actually, I didn't make green beans. I made great northern beans, pinto beans and black beans. I think I have my bean making system down.

Usually in the late afternoon (probably after I get home from purchasing the beans), I'll start soaking my beans. I rinse and sort them, and then put them in my nice bowl with a handle and a spout. I use the hottest water I can get. In an hour or two, they've usually used up most of their water, so I drain and rinse them and fill with more hot water. Probably before bed I'll rinse and refill one more time. In the morning, I'll rinse and refill, and do that a couple more times during the day.

When I'm done with cleaning up after supper, I'll put them in the crockpot overnight. I rinse out the bowl and start with soaking a new batch of beans. Then I repeat the process.

I ended up with 10 cups of each type of bean, stored in 2 cup portions in the freezer. These should last me a few months.

For the few days that I'm in the middle of the process, I keep my metal colander upside down on top of the bowl. It just fits. It kind of make it looks like the bowl is an alien.

I base my bean cooking method on these recommendations.

No comments:

Post a Comment