Friday, October 9, 2009

The Jack Squat System of Accomplishment

I probably shouldn't be posting on this yet. I've known for an hour that Barack Obama was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, and I am still utterly dumbfounded. The committee has determined he was worthy to win based on the fact that he has "captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future" and because of "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples."

This award is even more mind-boggling given the fact that nominations for the award were due February 1. So, Obama was given the award based on 11 days in office.

Giving the world 'hope', is the same as actually accomplishing something? Does the committee realize how ludicrous that is?

I have to admit, I'm not familiar with any of the other contenders for the award. According to the AP, "speculation had focused on Zimbabwe's Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai, a Colombian senator and a Chinese dissident, along with an Afghan woman's rights activist". I'm going to go out on a limb here, and assume that these people actually did something, perhaps even took some personal risks, in the interest of furthering their cause.

But, according to the Nobel Prize Committee, you don't have to do anything to actually accomplish something. With that in mind, I am going to propose the Jack Squat System of Accomplishment. (Trademark Pending)

Probably the best way to describe it is by example:

Today's Goals:

I hope to fold laundry and have it put away. Consider it Accomplished!
I hope to cook for and feed my family 3 times today. Consider it Accomplished!
I hope to take my kids to the library and choir today. Consider it Accomplished!
I hope to do some exercising today. Consider it Accomplished!
I hope to finish grading my kids' schoolwork for the week. Consider it Accomplished!

I have more examples, but I would rather not do the actual work of typing them now. Consider them written.

I can't believe I got so much done already this morning. I'm exhausted. I think I'm going to go back to bed. I'll have to close the door so I don't have to listen to my hungry, bored family all day.

1 comment:

  1. You go, girl!

    wv: euriand I thought this fitting. The state of being Eurified.

    ReplyDelete