Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Protecting My Kids Against The Bald Truth

My oldest daughter was born capable of speaking in complete sentences and participating in adult conversations.  Well, maybe not exactly, but she is incredibly bright.  When she was a toddler, I often caught myself talking to her about concepts she couldn't possibly understand because she seemed so, well, knowing.

And so it was that when she was about four we were having a conversation in the car about Winnie-the-Pooh.  The library was having a 75th birthday party for him, and she was wondering how come he didn't look any older.  My quick response was, "Well, Honey, you know Pooh isn't real."  Silence.  More silence.  Then, she responded, ever so quietly, "Oh, yeah."

That was it.  That was the moment I crushed my daughter's spirit and shattered her innocence.  I hang my head in shame every time I remember that incident.  Granted, Madeline seems to have recovered well.  I could almost think she's past the Pooh debacle, but every once in awhile she'll give me a look.  And I'm convinced she's remembering the moment I destroyed her childhood forever.  (And yes, I know that after she reads this she's going to milk it for all it's worth.:) )

But, we've moved on.  My  other two children never developed the same affinity for Winnie-the-Pooh that Madeline did.  (See this post.)  A children's show they've all been attached to, however, is Blues Clues.  Especially during the Steve days.  (Well, I guess that's debatable.  See here.)

It is accepted as truth in our household that the reason Steve left is because the actor was balding.  Madeline has seen Bald Steve pictures on the internet, and the other two would like to as well.  But, I've had to put my foot down.  I don't want to run the risk that seeing their childhood friend without hair might somehow devastate them, just like the truth about Pooh hurt Madeline.  So, in our house, Bald Steve is PG-13.

2 comments:

  1. LOL I love this post! And yes, I'm going to milk it for all it's worth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just bored reading some old blog stuff. Since we don't have TV, I've mostly watched Blues Clues at the beauty salon. So I wanted to see who Steve was and what he looked like bald. I found this

    http://www.steveburnsrocks.us/articles/SFDNewZealand_WellingtonDominionPost.htm

    and then this

    http://neofreaks.org/showthread.php?t=53298

    So is the second one by the Steve Truthers? Or the Bluederbergers? Is there really a deep dark secret that only the privileged few are smart enough to see through?

    I hate when the regular guys take me in with their mainstream lies.

    ReplyDelete